The destruction and devastation continues at the home, but in a totally good way. As expected, a few ‘unexpected’ situations have revealed themselves, one: the flooring structure on the east side of the house on the second floor is severely compromised. Apparently at one point an incompetent plumber cut six floor joists to accommodate water lines, which resulted in a serious structural problem that was the cause of a major sag in that part of the second floor. The entire ceiling will have to be removed as well as a good size portion of the floor in order to rectify this. Frank, our contractor, told us that Dave’s fear that he used to joke about -falling through the floor in the bathroom to the kitchen below – was not really a joke, and that the floor was in such bad shape that this actually could have happened. Scary!
The second surprise (but not really surprise) is that the water feed to the house is made of lead, which is not good, so we will have to apply to the city to change the feed. It’s not a major issue as long as it is fixed, but it wasn’t part of the original plan (or budget)…
I took some pictures last Friday of the progress to-date. As you can see, the walls are gone, there is only framing and that too will go once and new framing for the new layout is erected in the next couple of weeks. It is amazing how quickly things are happening!
Last night Dave, Kate (our designer) and I went to look at options for a custom island, and possibly custom cabinetry for the kitchen. We weren’t initially going to go this route, especially since the ratings for cabinetry made by certain Swedish international brand were so well received…(who can balk at a 25-year guarantee?) Sadly however, our experience with a sample of Ramsjo cabinetry that Kate had professionally painted for us failed. (It looked great until we started to gently tamper with it – the paint came off much too easily). Unfortunately this means the great economical solution for one wall of cabinetry is looking less and less likely. I am still holding out hope that we can use good ol’ Ramsjo for part of the kitchen if we find a better paint or a better professional painter because it makes a difference in the budget, but ultimately I realise it’s better to get something that will look great and stand the test of time. That said, I also have a lot of confidence in the custom option after last night’s field trip to Aya – it seemed like less of a headache to do it all-in-one rather than doing a piecemeal project with components from a few different places. Decisions! Ultimately, they rest with the numbers and so the lady at Aya will be providing us with a quote in a few days. After work, I hope to swing by the house and check out further progress. Frank told us the crew had already started to frame based on the plans! That’s exciting!